Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Club Beyond Round 1

I had the chance to finally experience MCYM Club Beyond the last two nights. Every monday night we have High School Club and the Middle Schoolers gather every Tuesday night. It was quite an eye opening experience for me because up to this point I still hadn't been to a Club night and couldn't really put the puzzle together in my mind.

Monday was kind of a tough day for me because I failed my German driver's test for the second time and I was struggling to find a costume for our dance party that night. I tell you the truth when I say that I've never been quite as humbled as I have since I arrived here. I've seen the truth with my own two eyes that I have nothing to offer, yet the living Spirit of God within me continues to minister grace and mercy through me, mostly in the small moments. Well anyways, I finally found an old suit to wear to the event since this club was themed our dance party. Club moved very swiftly through a barrage of games and dance breaks. There was food, smiles, music and truth in the air that night. I cased the room with my eyes and every person in every direction seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. Laura gave the Club talk from the creation story in Genesis 1. She utilized a video clip from the Bourne Identity and also a pad lock with a key. She explained how we were created for a purpose to know and have a reltionship with Jesus Christ, while also defending the truth of the Bible and refuting the evolution theory. I was blown away to see the Lord using my good friend in such a beautiful moment.

Tuesday I began the day meeting Austin at the gym for a good workout and raquetball match. Raquetball is totally boss, we have a rematch today (he beat me twice yesturday). After the gym we went to the middle school for some contact work to meet middle schoolers where they are, right at lunch. We walk around and hang out with them while they eat, just trying to be a friend... but we also get to go to recess between lunches and play basketball, soccer, football. Its awkward at times to be "on their turf" but I see the potential to really cultivate friendships in this time. After lunch I had a Gyro Salad for lunch (the food is amazing here, way better than America... so fresh) and then headed back to the office. Club last night was cool... We started the night off bumpin some Lecrae, playing some games and eating some tacos. The night then made its way toward a discussion on "How to spend time in God's Word" focusing on...

1. Preparing your heart in Prayer
2. Studying the Scriptures (looking for promises, commandments, sins to avoid, prayers to pray and questions to ask)
3. Application and Thanksgiving.

...we then broke up into small groups to discuss the lesson and everybody was so wound up it was really hard to settle things down and really get deep but I know the Lord planted many seeds last night.

-I realized last night that I may never see the fruit of this ministry while I am here but He is at work stirring student's hearts on the inside, in the places I can't see. I prayed after Club just broken for the students in my small group. I prayed that the seed will fall on good soil, be watered and grow with the hope that one day (even when I'm gone) that the fruit will be evident... that then their light will shine in the dark parts of this world as well.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome, Rob! Keep hanging in there..you are so right...even when we can't see His hand, we can trust that God is always working...

    ReplyDelete