Tuesday, February 17, 2009

back from Escape 2009

I'm sitting in my current residence for the first time... still trying to just take it all in. I confess: I am very disoriented with directions, names of places and posts, what I'm eating (in regards to the Yang Yangs we had for lunch) and feeling forgetful but I guess we are getting stuff done.

We are home from Escape 2009 in Bitburg, Germany. My second day in Heidelberg started by meeting the energy-packed middle schoolers at the Heidelberg Chapel and loading up the buses. We had a two-three hour drive north to Bitburg and along the way Laura led the trip with raffles and corny jokes. There was quite a line for people to step up to the mic and tell a joke... This was a great time for me to get to know some of the students and try to start building some solid relationships.

The first day started with a massive snowball fight in the parking lot (I had a blast), a nice German dinner and the first session complete with worship and text from the book of Esther. We had a nice small group discussion and then met at about 10pm for a game of Mission Impossible X. The game was designed by the some students and a professor from a bible college in Portland, Oregon who came to help run the camp.

Day two kicked off with a message on the life of Jonah... we looked at the story through a unique perspective and discussed how God wants His message of love to be preached to all people groups. That afternoon for freetime me and another leader named Austin took 11 guys on a 2.5 km walk through Bitburg to the iceskating rink. I've never iceskated before but I had a great time. I love walking on water! Day two was Valentines and that night we dove into the Word to talk about Samson and the mistakes he made in the purity department. We also discussed how we can learn from his mistakes and really get serious about living pure and waiting for the "right one" in our own lives.

Day three after lunch we went go carting on some sweet go carts. Germans take their go carting seriously... That night the message was "the weirdest love story" in the book of Hosea. With a focus on the Gospel we also presented the message of Christ's death, burial and ressurection with a response time after. Many students stayed after for about an hour praying for their friends, doing business with God, drawing nearer to Him. It was such an encouragment to see middle schoolers responding to the Gospel. We ended the night with a sweet game of dodgeball.

We ended camp day four with a message of faith and hope. We studied Abraham and his calling... It was a really encouraging message to follow and respond in obedience when God calls you. It encouraged me to know that He will provide and work through us.

I've met many new faces and made some new friends this last week. I'm thankful for the Holy Spirit that dwells within me even in this moment and continues to comfort me and guide me as I seek to bring glory to Jesus. This is no joke, His love endures forever!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Rob! Thx for the great example. I pray one day that I can do something like what you are doing. You'll continue to be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete