Monday, March 9, 2009

One Fine Day!

Today began with a howl... and I do mean screaming squall lines racing through the sky stampeding their way through the valley toward the hills. Sideways rain and city walls deflecting the winds and forever changing their course. I opened my eyes and felt that I couldn't make my morning walk to Neckarhausen in these conditions so I called Ashley to scoop me up and we journeyed through the passing skies to Campbell where the gym and raquetball courts are. On the ride over the squall passed and the sun broke through the sky in a familiar chorus of bright morning bliss. With Tenth Avenue North seaping through the speakers it was the first full on Florida moment I've had since I've been here.

We hit the Raquetball for a while and lifted some weights, got the blood pumping and took off to the middle school for some contact work. I had a really interesting conversation with a student today and it really just put a smile on my face. We also had a pizza party for the raffle winner of Fear Factor and 5 of his friends at 1st lunch. It was cool to meet some new kids and just chill with them eating pizza. Today was off to a great start.

After middle school lunch I was dropped off at the Shopping Post where I would take my driver's test again, since I had failed it the first two times. Hey, it's not as easy as you would think... but I passed it today! I got a 97 and put that behind me. In retrospect, it probably worked out for the good because I really do understand how the system works now because I've had to study that book so much lately. Failing the test the first two times was really hard on my self-esteem, I think a little air was let out of my ego each failing attempt. I'm not saying I'm prideful now that I passed but for a guy, being able to drive is a very necessary attribute in the repertoire.

Next on the Agenda, a last minute skit rehersal and costume tweak session. The theme for high school Club tonight was "Red Carpet Club." We held Club in the Village Pavilion which is a very nice dining hall. The kinda spiffy place you'd hold a formal dance or yuppie conference or just maybe "a Red Carpet Club." Me, my friends, the students, everyone and your mom dressed up as movie stars.. I was goin for Mark Ruffalo/John Cusak (since they are my favorite actors) but it was probably more like Robbie in a blazer. The night began with some hor d'ouevres, a tall glass of water and then transitioned into a "first kiss video." Jenna & Laura interviewed a few of us and asked us to describe peanut butter on camera. Of course we said that its creamy or chunky and gets stuck in your teeth. But then they used our footage to answer the question... What was your first kiss like? After that funny video... myself, Austin and Phil did a SNL skit where Jim Carrey was a lifeguard and Will Ferrel is chillin in a hot tub. HILARIOUS moment! We also got to show our Beach Break Promo Wake Up Videos. We gave out Oscars to the best videos in each category... Best Male Wake Up Vid. Best First Kiss Vid. One more skit was on tap for the night involving myself and a few friends. We did the "More Cowbell" sketch from SNL. It was so funny! My friend Mike Hart did an awesome Christopher Walken in the skit. Finally at the end of the night, Laura gave a great Club Talk on how Jesus was the perfect sacrifice for all sin. She explained how sin could only be forgiven through His blood. She explained that we each have sinned and have fallen short of His glory, yet He loved us so much He made Himself the Way. We had 45 students at Club to hear this message of grace and mercy. The same Gospel that changed us is still being proclaimed. I am thankful to be a part of God's redemption plan. What could be better than pointing others toward the light, toward the Christ... What could be better than helping them find true love.

No comments:

Post a Comment